Monday 10 March 2014

Perfect Pins

Hot Off the Press and Runway!

I know I know, considering my past life, I should be talking about all the wonderful frocks worn at this years Oscars right? Blah, well there were, as always some stunners but us ladies in the real world being yummy mummies and trying our god damn best to get everything done don't usually have an Oscar-esque party to wear those designer gowns to, get drunk and tell each other how beautiful and fabulous we are Rah Rah Lah. So instead I thought I would give you some wonderful new trends for this upcoming Spring so at least we can ourselves feel and look glamorous whilst the A-listers have people doing it for them! I know its getting pretty chilly again but let's try and bring some sunshine into our daily outfits instead!

I read a great article the other day about how we are dressing for the office. Gone are the days of a boring grey suit with a white shirt. Power dressing or 'leaning in' fashion is all the rage right now and the talk of the town for SS14. Muiccia Prada calls it the 'be seen, be heard' approach to dressing. Nothing to do with baring those pins or flashing some cleavage to get noticed in the work place but about turning people on to your capabilities.

Fashion today is seeing a slow but constant move away from minimalism- not to blow my own trumpet but you know I have always popped on more with my outfits, be it doubling up on a necklace or a whole arm of bracelets, than less! Women nowadays don't want to blend in to mediocrity. We are being more creative, more colourful, more exotic and daring- our clothes are making us visible and feel good.

At Prada, colourful fur patchwork coats and frocks peppered with couture beading and arty prints donned the catwalk. Dior saw models dangling in jagged crystal necklaces and pencil skirts and dresses printed with slogans such as 'Ultraviolet'. Think boisterous, blasting into the office ready to get your idea heard, your new venture put out there. Let me tell you, if I can do it, anyone can!!!

If I am working hard in the Frock Shack, do I really need to get all dressed up- I'm not meeting with anyone, I am just with the frocks and at my desk...this is the wrong approach to your working environment. Yes a day working from home every now and again, slob out, endless tea drink however even popping on a vibrant splash of lippy or zazzing up your trusted white shirt with a funky tie or a blinged up ridiculously over sized necklace, it will empower you; make you feel sexy and popular and cool on the outside, getting all that confidence flowing and energy that you can do anything and achieve more from within. Get bright, be bold, get powerful...get it done!

My must haves this month....

Wrap up warm with a blanket shawl. Over sized yet elegant, drape one over your shoulders or fling around your neck and keep fashionista hot as seen by Christopher Bailey for Burberry. In several versions- hooded cape, the statement shawl and 'the pulled off the sofa' blanket, grab the thickest throw you can find- hobo hugs at the ready!


Straight from all lovely and cosy, it's also time to get shorty! Yup, the short is back with us- do we thank Pharell Williams for this me thinks? With lots of different styles we have the surf shorts- as seen on the Jonathan Saunders catwalk- team with a funky bomber jacket and booty Nike sneakers. Then we have the 'skort'- wear it as you would a flirty mini with a luxe long sleeved tee or cute thin wool jumper. 

 

You know how I adore the loose fitting, drapesy and over sized look....well I am so happy that the culotte is back! They are brilliantly practical for the skirt refusenik! Off-duty with a jumper or totally hot on the tiles with a shirt and blazer, they are fun, different and daring. Really comfy too if you're having one of those 'want to be in my trackies' days but have to leave the house!

This bell jar skirt oozes old school charm and a kind of vintage sex appeal. Anything with big side pockets gets me excited! Tuck in a fine knit sweater and killer heels and drape yourself in chunky jewels for a fit-and-flare look. Divine.


One skirt with another flare is the 'pepcil'. A new take on the classic pencil skirt, get those pins out understatedly at the office and be your powerful 'leaning in' self with one of these babies. Its design is pencil meets a peplum hem, coining spring's must have. It's pencil shape at the top then finished off with a frilled bottom. Catching our eyes at the Antonio Marras and Balmain SS14 catwalks and now being brought to us on the high street by Asos and Skopes at House of Frasier, nab your cult skirt now!


 `
With all these looks in mind, don't forget to prepare your pins. I am a big fan of L'Oreal's Sublime Self-tanning Fresh Feel Gel. It doesn't smell anything like biscuits and leaves me with silky smooth legs and a light brown tan. Perfect practice to get our bodies all lush and beautiful for Spring and Summer!

Warmest Swishes ladies,
B xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment